Area Rugs In Style For 2022
Finding the perfect area rug for your living space can be exhilarating, especially if it’s the final touch to an incredible living space. There are so many different rug styles to choose from, so many size ranges, but the best rugs are also durable and timeless. The Nazmiyal Rugs is one of the world’s largest collections of antique, vintage and modern rugs…so how do you find the right one for your home?
Let’s take a quick dive into the world of area rugs and area rug styles, so you can find the ideal rug for your living space, one that you’ll love for years to come.
What Kind of Rugs Are Popular Now?
Area rugs — and their style trends — can be classified in a number of ways, with the most common categories being room, style, age and origin.
Area Rug Trends by Room
Area rugs are traditionally used in living rooms, kitchens and bedrooms. When shopping for area rugs to buy for your home, you’ll want to consider how the space is mostly used while also keeping in mind the rest of the style and decor elements.
- The best area rugs for a living room should complement how the space is primarily used. For example, an elegant woven rug would be appropriate for a formal sitting room, and modern, sophisticated designs can transform any space into an oasis for entertaining.
- In the kitchen or dining room, you may want to cultivate a cozy and warm atmosphere, but should also consider a rug’s durability and how easy or difficult it will be to keep it clean. The best dining room rugs will offer both distinctive style and timeless durability.
- For bedrooms, comfort and warmth are the keys to the perfect area rug, especially if the room is uncarpeted. In addition to the basic design and style, rug durability is similarly important.
For any room you are considering upgrading with a stylish, trendy area rug, you should also consider practical elements like the rug’s size and shape. You should be able to find trending area rugs in a number of different sizes and shapes.
- What is the most popular area rug size? Area rugs are often categorized as either small (less than 8’ long), room-size (8’ to 15’), large (15’ to 20’), or oversized (greater than 20’).
- What is the most popular area rug shape? In addition to the classic rectangular area rug, additional shapes commonly include narrow runner, wide gallery, square, and round.
Area Rug Trends by Style
When it comes to an area rug’s style, you should try to not only match current interior design trends, but to also trust your own judgment and intuition. It’s your living space, after all, so at the end of the day your comfort and satisfaction are what matter most. Some of the most popular color scheme trends include “clarifying blues, delicate greens, and grounded earth tones.” Popular styles range from austere minimalism to fun colors and unique prints that might include elements of nature or meditative patterns.
Another factor to consider when trying to find the perfect area rug is the overall design style within a given room or throughout the home. Just because a particular rug might be trending today doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to be a perfect fit. Two of the most important considerations for matching an area rug’s style to your own are the colors and patterns used.
Today, popular area rug designs include floral patterns, as well as geometric, medallion, and tribal design elements.
Area Rug Trends by Age
Most area rugs will fall into one of three categories: antique, vintage, and modern:
- Antique area rugs are at least 80 years old, and some date back to the 17th century or before. People seek out antique area rugs for a number of reasons beyond mere aesthetics and style. They’re often considered heirloom pieces, and as such are highly valuable and can be sentimental. Compared with modern area rugs, antiques were produced using older weaving techniques and materials, making them a uniquely sophisticated addition to any living space.
- Vintage area rugs are a broad class, including area rugs produced from the mid-20th Century through the 1970s. Many vintage rugs offer unique design value with their nostalgia and general style. More experimental and varied than antiques, vintage rugs provide a balance of timeliness and modernity, making them a versatile option for any room.
- Modern area rugs, including those produced from the 1970s till the present, align with modern tastes and trends. They can span a wide range of artistic and interior design styles, from intriguing abstract designs through tasteful minimalism. Modern area rugs offer the widest variety of colors, patterns, and styles.
Area Rug Trends by Origin, Materials and Patterns
You can also seek out area rugs based on their origin, which can help you match existing decor or reflect your own heritage. Where—and when—an area rug is crafted is more than just fun trivia, it can also be an indicator of production methods, materials used, types of rug weaves, and more.
Popular Origins, Material and Patterns Of Rugs:
- Popular areas of origin include China, France, India, Morocco, Persia, Scandinavia and Turkey.
- Popular area rug materials include bamboo silk, banana silk, camel hair, cotton, silk, viscose and wool.
- Popular area rug weave patterns include knotting, tufting, and hooking.
How Do I Pick the Right Styles of Rugs for My Home?
Once you understand the differences between area rug types, you’re ready for the fun part—searching for your own inspiration!
Using this blog as a guide, you can zero in on the perfect tyles area rug for your home by asking yourself a few questions:
- Where is this rug going to go, and how is the space primarily used?
- What design styles will complement the existing decor?
- Am I interested in an antique, vintage, or modern design style?
Then, you can browse Nazmiyal’s extensive collection of antique, vintage, and modern rugs to fit any style. You can browse our entire inventory, complete with high-quality images so you can gain some inspiration, compare your options, and make a smart rug purchase that will transform your living space for years to come.