Rugs From Morocco
Discover The Beauty Of Tribal Rugs From Morocco
Shop our comprehensive collection of Morocco made area rugs:
Learn More About Vintage Collection of Rugs From Morocco
Vintage rugs from Morocco – Morocco is a land of exotic colors, aromas, people and of course – carpets! The country’s unique aesthetic has had a profound effect on today’s eclectic style. Wood, glass, tiles, leather and a wealth of sensuous materials give their furnishings and architecture tremendous appeal. These exotic textures, vivid colors and fantastic surface patterns are readily welcomed in modern and traditional interiors.
The older vintage area rugs that were woven in the North African country of Morocco include the most famous Beni Ourain rugs as well as the Moroccan Berber carpets. These vintage shag carpets are some of the more unique forms of North African textile art.
Each rug from Morocco is unique. Each one will have its own look and evenits specific approach to form and pattern. That is mostly because they were woven by skilled rug weavers in Morocco who never really studies art history. Therefore their approach in one that more closely aligned with the more primitive folk art and outsider art movements than with any other artistic approaches.
The Largest Collection of Vintage Rugs from Morocco
As the renewed interest in mid-century modern design is in full swing, vintage rugs that were woven in the north African country Of Morocco, with their distinctly minimalist aesthetic, have become one of the most popular rug styles available today. These alluring compositions feature a distinct style, generally characterized by ivory fields and simple black or brown lines that makes them uniquely suited to mid-century modern focused interiors.
Genuine vintage rugs from Morocco are considered to be especially desirable, due to the high quality of their materials as well as their cultural authenticity. The Nazmiyal Collection in New York City, one of the largest purveyors of antique rugs and vintage carpets in the world, boasts one of the most exciting collection of these coveted rugs. This includes the especially remarkable selection of over one hundred pieces, which Nazmiyal has just recently acquired.
With hundreds of examples, each one unique, handmade and exceptional, the Nazmiyal Collection offers a unique opportunity for interested parties to experience the artistic appeal of mid-century Moroccan rugs on a grand scale. These carpets from Morocco offer a dizzying array of beautiful and impressive designs.
While many vintage mid century modern rugs from Morocco feature an ivory field and a simple pattern composed of black or brown lines, Nazmiyal’s collection includes dozens of delightfully tribal and vibrant examples as well.
Some of these carpets feature oblong geometric figures and abstract splashes of color, sometimes splayed across the entire surface. Others feature the traditional ivory and black or brown combination, broken up by subtle touches of color.
Mid-century vintage rugs from Morocco are also celebrated for their eco-friendly nature. Woven with fine materials and dyed with all natural vegetable carpet dyes, these area carpets are a great example of what can be accomplished with all natural materials. Further, the genuine vintage carpets from Morocco have a certain characteristic that makes them especially desirable: each piece is entirely unique, with no two pieces expressing the same pattern.
Dozens of examples in the Nazmiyal Collection’s selection of Morocco made carpets brilliantly showcase this characteristic – for even when there is a general similarity between two different rugs, there is always at least one small detail or another that clearly shows that the pieces are each unique, handmade works of art.
Jason Nazmiyal, the owner of the Nazmiyal Collection, recalls his travels and experiences purchasing these exceptional rugs. “We’ve traveled extensively throughout Morocco to bring together the pieces in this collection,” recalls Mr. Nazmiyal. “We’ve traveled through the Atlas mountains, searching for the best examples we could find – often buying one rug at a time.
While there are plenty of bad Moroccan rugs out there, when you have been purchasing these pieces as long as we have, you definitely develop a deeper appreciation for better examples when you are lucky enough to find them. Our vintage Morocco rugs make up what is possibly the finest collection under one roof, and consists of more than 500 beautiful, unique works.”
Stylish, beautiful, unique and relatively inexpensive, vintage Morocco rugs are an exceptional art form. The Nazmiyal Collection, with hundreds of unique Morocco carpets, including dozens of particularly rare examples, is one of the best places to truly experience their erstwhile allure and popularity.
Why are area rugs from Morocco so popular?
The area rugs that were created / woven in Morocco are popular for several reasons, and their appeal lies in their unique characteristics and cultural significance.
Here are some factors that contribute to the popularity of the area rugs from Morocco:
- Traditional Craftsmanship: Moroccan rugs are handwoven by skilled artisans using age-old techniques that have been passed down through generations. This traditional craftsmanship gives each rug a distinct and authentic feel, making them highly desirable for those seeking genuine and artisanal products.
- Unique Designs: Moroccan rugs are known for their distinctive designs, often featuring geometric patterns, tribal motifs, and bold colors. These designs can add a touch of exoticism and vibrancy to any interior space.
- Versatility in Decor: Due to their neutral color schemes and versatile patterns, Moroccan rugs can complement a wide range of interior styles, from bohemian and eclectic to modern and minimalist. They can serve as statement pieces or blend in seamlessly with various decor themes.
- Cultural Significance: Moroccan rugs are deeply ingrained in the country’s history and culture. They are often associated with Berber tribes, and each rug may carry specific symbols or stories that reflect the weaver’s identity or the tribe’s traditions.
- High-Quality Materials: Traditionally, Moroccan rugs are made from natural materials like wool, which is sourced locally from sheep and camels. The use of natural fibers contributes to the rugs’ durability and ensures their eco-friendliness.
- Global Exposure: Morocco’s rugs have gained international popularity over the years, partly due to their presence in interior design magazines, social media, and various international trade shows. As a result, they have become sought-after decor items for people worldwide.
- Bohemian Aesthetic: The bohemian or “boho” aesthetic has gained popularity in recent years, and Moroccan rugs fit well into this trend. The warm and eclectic feel of these rugs aligns with the boho style, which embraces a laid-back, artistic, and free-spirited approach to design.
- Ethical and Sustainable Appeal: The rising interest in sustainable and ethically sourced products has also contributed to the popularity of Moroccan rugs. These handwoven rugs support local craftsmanship and empower the skilled artisans, which resonates with consumers seeking to make ethical purchasing decisions.
Overall, the combination of unique designs, cultural heritage, and artisanal craftsmanship has made the rugs that were woven in Morocco a sought-after and enduring trend in the world of interior design and home decor.
Learn More about area rugs From Morocco:
What Are The Different Styles and Types of Moroccan Rugs? | Berber Carpets and Rugs From Morocco | Moroccan Beni Ourain Rugs | Eco Friendly Rugs From Morocco | Custom Made and Custom Created Rugs | Moroccan Home Decor and Interior Designs | Shop Moroccan Rugs