Interior Design Goes Digital with Graphics Trend
No one can deny the emerging influence of technology on our daily lives. Smartphones, tablets and near universal WiFi are the rule, rather than the exception. And while we’re staying ever more connected with each other, the tech explosion is spilling from the inter-webs into our homes with digital design becoming one of today’s hottest interior trends.
“On runways, fashion designers have been showing computer-generated photo-realist fabrics. Believe me, we’ll soon be seeing those kinds of fabrics in living rooms,” New York architect and interior designer, Tom Scheerer told House Beautiful magazine in their round-up of 2013 interior design trends.
Indeed, digital prints have already seized the runway, with fashion powerhouses BCBG MaxAzria, Yigal Azrouel and Mary Katranzou dishing out designs with competing graphics and pixillated patterns.
The same emblazoned elements leapt from the style sheets to the decor mags when the latest Hearst Designer Visions showhouse kicked-off. Matthew Smyth nailed the trend with bead and crystal wallpaper covering his Elle Decor apartment (top image). Bordering on trippy, the paper invokes an inspired Moroccan theme.
Because it can be both bold and understated, adding a touch of tech to your own home doesn’t have to be an interior design challenge. Wallpaper can do the trick just as easily as a vibrant vintage rug or bold textile. But, if you’re not sure about the digital design trend, try it on for size and sport a classy dress in computer couture instead!
What interior design elements and patterns can be generated using tech?
Tech can generate a wide range of interior design elements and patterns to enhance your living space.
Here are some examples:
- 3D-Printed Decor: Use 3D printing technology to create intricate and customized decor pieces, such as vases, sculptures, or even furniture with unique, tech-generated patterns and textures.
- Digital Wallpapers: Install digital wallpapers that can display dynamic patterns and designs. These wallpapers can change colors, animations, or images, creating a dynamic visual experience.
- Augmented Reality (AR) Art: Incorporate AR elements into your interior design. With AR apps or devices, you can add digital art, patterns, or information overlays to your physical space.
- Projection Mapping: Implement projection mapping to project tech-generated patterns, animations, or interactive displays onto your walls, ceilings, or floors.
- LED Lighting Patterns: Use programmable LED lighting systems to create various patterns and color schemes in your space. These lights can be synchronized with music or set to change according to your mood.
- Smart Fabrics and Textiles: Integrate smart fabrics with embedded LEDs or conductive threads to create textiles that display changing patterns, colors, or even information.
- Generative Art: Employ generative algorithms and software to create unique, algorithmically generated artworks, patterns, or designs for your walls or decor items.
- Customizable Furniture Patterns: Invest in furniture pieces with embedded technology, allowing you to change the patterns or colors of your furniture at will.
- Digital Screens: Install digital screens or displays that can showcase tech-generated artwork, patterns, or even real-time data feeds.
- Interactive Elements: Incorporate interactive tech elements, such as touch-sensitive walls, floors, or furniture surfaces that respond to touch or gestures with various patterns and effects.
- Smart Mirrors: Use smart mirrors that can display tech-generated patterns, information, or even mimic the appearance of different materials like wood, metal, or stone.
- Customizable Digital Art Frames: Hang customizable digital art frames that allow you to upload and display tech-generated artworks and patterns.
- Sound Visualization: Implement technology that translates sound into visual patterns, creating a unique audio-visual experience in your space.
- Holographic Displays: Consider holographic displays that project 3D holograms and patterns into your room, creating a futuristic and immersive atmosphere.
- Nano-Tech Materials: Explore materials with nanotechnology that can change color, texture, or patterns in response to environmental factors like temperature or light.
These tech-generated interior design elements and patterns offer a wide range of possibilities to personalize and enhance your living space, creating a dynamic and visually captivating environment.
What are the top companies producing digitally generated patters and designs for interiors?
There are several companies that are pretty prominent in producing digitally generated patterns and designs for interiors. However, the landscape of the interior design industry, especially in the field of digitally generated patterns, can change rapidly. Therefore, it’s essential to verify the latest information.
Here are some companies that are known for their contributions in digitally generated patterns of home decors:
- Moooi: Moooi is a Dutch design company known for its innovative and digitally generated patterns and designs in furniture, lighting, and decor. They collaborate with various artists and designers to create unique pieces.
- Eskayel: Eskayel specializes in digitally printed wallpapers, textiles, and home accessories. They offer a wide range of eco-friendly, digitally generated patterns inspired by nature and art.
- Flavor Paper: Flavor Paper is a New York-based company that produces custom wallpapers and wall coverings with digitally printed patterns. They are known for their bold and artistic designs.
- Surface View: Surface View offers customizable wall murals, canvases, and prints featuring digitally generated patterns and artwork. They collaborate with museums, galleries, and artists.
- Spoonflower: Spoonflower is a platform that allows you to design and print your custom fabrics, wallpaper, and gift wrap with digitally generated patterns. Users can upload their designs or choose from a vast collection of patterns created by independent designers.
- Wallshoppe: Wallshoppe specializes in digitally printed wallpapers and murals with a focus on bold, contemporary designs. They offer a variety of customizable options.
- Trove: Trove creates large-scale, digitally generated wallpaper murals that often feature intricate and artistic patterns. Their designs can transform a room into a work of art.
- Pattern Pod: Pattern Pod is a design studio that specializes in creating patterns for various interior applications, including textiles, wallpapers, and ceramics. They offer a range of unique, digitally generated designs.
- Hygge & West: Hygge & West collaborates with artists and designers to create digitally printed wallpapers that feature a mix of classic and modern patterns, adding a unique touch to interior spaces.
- Timorous Beasties: This Scottish design studio is known for its digitally generated, nature-inspired patterns for wallpapers, fabrics, and cushions. Their designs often have a whimsical and artistic flair.
- Lelievre: Lelievre is a French company that offers a wide range of luxurious fabrics and wallpapers, some of which feature digitally generated patterns. They are known for their high-quality textiles.
As noted above, the popularity and availability of these companies may change over time, and new companies may have emerged since my last update. It’s a good idea to research and explore the latest options and trends in digitally generated patterns for interiors before making any decisions for your project.