Interior Design Trends and Modern Wallpaper
Throughout the years, wallpaper has been a bit of a taboo subject in the world of interior design. Majorly popularized throughout the 1950’s, 60’s, and 70’s, mid-century modern design showcased a phalanx of paper putter-uppers.
Over the years, wallpaper petered out as neutral colors took to the stage of wall Accenture and later evolved into bolder and more daring looks with vibrant colors and textural treatments. However, with the recent emergence of modern daring looks, wallpaper is making a serious comeback in today’s design world.
Trends are popping up all over major designers’ portfolio books that are bringing a new sense of style back in the room design and decor. Geometric patterns of plaids, Greek key, Mediterranean and Islamic patterns are all the rage.
The major plus side of wallpaper that has brought back its reemerging is the fact that nothing is more unique or bolder than the ability to flawlessly incorporate interesting design without looking kitschy and/or cheap-tastic.
Another major trend in modern wallpaper design is the incorporation of modern floral, fleur-de-lis, and baroque-inspired trimmings. These patterns, once popularized at the height of french royalty, saw their way out as trends changed and became “Americanized.”
Though, these days more and more designers are turning to the past and European design in particular to add a romantic and homey feel to today’s homeowner.
Who are the most luxurious high end modern wallpaper makers?
Here are some of the prominent wallpaper makers that are known for their high-quality wallpapers:
- Farrow & Ball: Farrow & Ball is renowned for its high-end, handcrafted wallpapers. They offer a wide range of exquisite patterns and colors, often inspired by historical designs.
- Cole & Son: This British company is celebrated for its heritage wallpapers, including iconic and contemporary designs. They have a rich history dating back to the 18th century.
- De Gournay: De Gournay specializes in hand-painted wallpapers that are truly works of art. They offer custom designs and have a reputation for creating stunning, one-of-a-kind pieces.
- Thibaut: Thibaut is known for its classic yet modern wallpaper designs. They offer a diverse range of patterns, colors, and styles to suit different tastes.
- Phillip Jeffries: This brand is famous for its natural, textured wallpapers. They use high-quality materials like grasscloth, silk, and metallics to create elegant wallcoverings.
- Zoffany: Zoffany offers a range of luxurious wallpapers with a focus on heritage and artistry. They blend traditional craftsmanship with contemporary design.
- Osborne & Little: This brand features a wide array of stylish and luxurious wallpaper collections. They collaborate with renowned designers to create unique patterns.
- Elitis: Elitis is known for its innovative and artistic approach to wallpaper design. They often incorporate unusual materials and textures into their collections.
- Romo: Romo offers a range of sophisticated wallpapers with a contemporary flair. Their designs often feature bold colors and patterns.
- Schumacher: Schumacher is a well-established brand known for its elegant and timeless wallpaper designs. They have a rich history dating back to the early 20th century.
Please note that the luxury wallpaper market is ever-evolving, and new designers and brands may have emerged recently. Additionally, the availability of these brands and their collections may vary by region, so it’s a good idea to visit their official websites or contact high-end interior design showrooms for the latest offerings and availability.
What makes wallpaper “modern” in look and feel?
Modern wallpaper is characterized by a set of design principles and features that distinguish it from traditional or vintage wallpaper styles.
Here are some key elements that make wallpaper “modern” in look and feel:
- Simplicity and Minimalism: Modern wallpaper often embraces simplicity and minimalism in its design. It tends to feature clean lines, geometric shapes, and a lack of excessive ornamentation. Minimalist patterns can include abstract designs, subtle textures, or monochromatic color schemes.
- Contemporary Color Palettes: Modern wallpaper often uses contemporary color palettes that include neutrals, muted tones, and bold, vibrant colors. It may also incorporate the use of high-contrast color combinations to create a visually striking effect.
- Geometric Patterns: Geometric patterns are a common feature of modern wallpaper. These can include simple geometric shapes like squares, triangles, and circles, or more complex, abstract geometric designs. The repetition of geometric elements can create a sense of rhythm and order.
- Texture and Material Variety: Modern wallpaper frequently incorporates a variety of textures and materials. This can include textured wallpapers with embossed or three-dimensional patterns, as well as metallic finishes, glass beads, or even materials like grasscloth or cork.
- Digital and Photographic Prints: Advances in printing technology have allowed for the creation of modern wallpaper designs that feature highly detailed digital or photographic prints. These can include realistic images of landscapes, cityscapes, and nature, or abstract digital art.
- Organic and Nature-Inspired Themes: While modern wallpaper often embraces contemporary and abstract designs, it may also draw inspiration from nature. Organic and nature-inspired motifs, such as botanical prints or natural textures, can be incorporated into modern wallpaper to create a harmonious balance between the natural and the contemporary.
- Large-Scale Patterns: Modern wallpaper often features large-scale patterns that cover an entire wall or create a bold focal point. Oversized motifs can make a strong visual statement and add drama to a space.
- Flexibility and Customization: Modern wallpaper designers often offer customization options, allowing homeowners and interior designers to tailor the wallpaper to their specific needs. This can include custom color choices, pattern scaling, and even personalized designs.
- Versatility: Modern wallpaper is versatile and can be used in a variety of interior settings, from residential to commercial spaces. It can be applied to entire walls, used as an accent, or even framed as artwork.
High-Quality Materials: Modern wallpaper is typically made from high-quality materials, ensuring durability and longevity. This includes papers that are easy to clean and maintain.
It’s important to note that the definition of “modern” can evolve over time, and what is considered modern today may change in the future. The key is to choose wallpaper that aligns with your personal style and complements the overall design of your space.