View our antique selection of rugs with animal designs:
Exploring Area Rugs That Feature Animal Deign Motifs and Patterns
What is an animal design rug?
An animal design rug is a type of rug that features patterns, motifs, or images of animals as part of its design. These rugs often showcase various animals, ranging from domestic animals like horses and cats to wild animals like tigers, lions, birds, and even mythical creatures like dragons.
Animal rugs can be found in various styles and cultures, and they are crafted using a variety of techniques, including hand-knotting, hand-tufting, hand-weaving, or machine production. The choice of animals in the design can hold cultural significance, religious symbolism, or simply serve as decorative elements.
Key features of animal design rugs include:
- Animal Motifs: Animal design rugs prominently feature animals as the central theme of their design. The animals can be portrayed in a realistic or stylized manner, and they may be depicted individually or in groups.
- Nature-Inspired Themes: Animal design rugs often draw inspiration from the natural world, reflecting the beauty and diversity of wildlife. The rugs may incorporate elements of landscapes, foliage, or other natural elements to complement the animal motifs.
- Symbolism: In some cultures, certain animals hold symbolic meanings, representing qualities such as strength, wisdom, protection, or good luck. Animal design rugs may be chosen for their symbolic significance or as a way to invoke positive attributes associated with the depicted animals.
- Decorative Purposes: Animal design rugs are not only functional floor coverings but also serve as decorative pieces. They can add visual interest and a touch of personality to interior spaces, especially in homes, children’s rooms, or spaces with a nature-themed décor.
- Versatility: Animal design rugs are versatile and can suit various interior styles, from rustic and traditional to modern and eclectic. They can be used in living rooms, bedrooms, nurseries, or even as wall hangings.
- Materials and Techniques: Animal design rugs can be made from various materials, including wool, silk, cotton, or synthetic fibers. The choice of materials affects the texture and durability of the rug. Handmade rugs, especially those crafted using traditional techniques, often exhibit intricate detailing and exceptional craftsmanship.
Whether representing a beloved pet, celebrating wildlife, or incorporating cultural symbolism, animal design rugs are a delightful way to infuse a space with the charm and beauty of the animal kingdom.
Learn More About Animal Rugs and Animal Print Design Carpets
The great artisans that wove these antique carpets were masters at depicting small details that required great accuracy. Most of the exotic animals seen in rugs, were not seen bey the weavers in their natural habitat so they had to rely on imagery in books to draft the animal motifs they woven into the rugs. For example, this Turkish Oushak animal area rug features the mythical dragon and griffin entangled in a never-ending battle. Animal rugs such as this Tibetan dragon rug, also portrays the dragon motif, but in a more traditional Eastern Oriental format. Animals aren’t always so ferocious though and sometimes they are just happily playing.
Dragons, eagles, unicorns, leopard prints, geometric animals and hunting scenes are all found in antique rugs. From early American hooked rugs to Oriental rugs from China, these spectacular textiles feature iconic animals that are symbolic and naturalistic. Artists and weavers in the east and the west have never abandoned their connection with the natural world and storybook legends. These exceptional rugs incorporate art, mythology and beasts that are real and imagined.
Faux tiger pelts are re-created in Buddhist rugs from Tibet, graceful birds and mythical animals are featured in Chinese rank badges, and serpents, predators and placid animals are pictured in the iconic hunting rugs and Tree of Life rug patterns carpets produced in Islamic countries.
In many cases, these animals symbolize supernatural powers, superstitions, legends and things that transcend their zoological form. Tribal weavers used abstract wolf’s mouth symbols to ward off powerful predators. The regal peacock often symbolizes power, nobility and status. The majestic lion has spawned an entire subset of artistic Persian rugs. Despite the diversity in the types of animals depicted, the way they are drawn and the qualities they stand for, carpets with animal motifs are an important group of rugs that also represent the profound skill required to draw and execute these detail-rich pieces.
Known for their quirky, exotic style, animal rugs can have a fabulous and unexpectedly elegant effect. Ranging from colonial hunter chic to modern couture, rugs that boast animal design motifs come in plenty of traditional and adventurous styles. Zebra print rugs are beloved for their graphic black and white patterns, which can create a stunning effect in classical spaces or cutting-edge interiors. Giraffe prints, leopard spots, cow print rugs and the famous Tibetan tiger rugs make striking statement pieces. Of course, there are also pelt-shaped wool carpets and imaginative animal print variations, such as peacock feathers or textural abstract patterns that resemble snakeskin. Shag carpets are another suitable cruelty-free alternative to animal rugs for those craving the luscious texture of fur without the guilt. Whether shoppers are seeking the plush textures or graphic prints, animal design rugs are a fabulous addition to any exotic interior.
Antique Animal Print Rugs: Ferocious Style
Bold, fun or modern, animal print rugs can do it all. Today’s carpets that have animal prints as their design pattern, are highly evolved and even sophisticated. These sometimes kitschy pieces range from wildly trendy to elegant and historic. Put your preconceptions aside; these bold rugs are back and hotter than ever. The graphic patterns featured in animal prints are unexpectedly versatile and amazingly flattering. Place a faux zebra print rug in any setting to create a daring statement. These stark patterns work well with minimalist decor, safari-style environments and formal spaces alike.
Rugs with animal prints designs are available in an endless assortment of variations. Wool rugs with animal simulated patterns, unusual colors and fun shapes are an exciting and often overlooked option for those who are ready to create a ferociously stylish space.
Is there a difference between animal design rugs and and animal print rugs?
Technically yes, there is a difference between animal design rugs and animal print rugs.
Outlining the differences between animal deign and animal print area rugs:
Animal Design Rugs:
- Animal design rugs feature patterns, motifs, or images of animals as the central theme of their design. The animals are often depicted in a stylized or artistic manner, and the rug’s overall design may incorporate other elements such as landscapes or natural scenes to complement the animal motifs.
- These rugs can be realistic or abstract representations of animals and are created to showcase the beauty and diversity of wildlife or to symbolize certain qualities associated with specific animals.
- Animal design rugs are versatile and can be found in various styles and cultures, ranging from traditional to contemporary.
Animal Print Rugs:
- Animal print rugs, on the other hand, do not depict actual animals but rather replicate the patterns or markings found on animal hides or fur. These rugs feature designs that mimic the distinctive patterns of animal skins, such as zebra stripes, leopard spots, cheetah prints, tiger stripes, and others.
- Unlike animal design rugs that may incorporate a range of colors and elements, animal print rugs typically focus on the distinctive black, white, and brown colorations found in the patterns of the respective animals they imitate.
- Animal print rugs are often associated with a specific and bold aesthetic and are commonly used for decorative purposes to add a touch of exotic or wild flair to interior spaces.
Basically, animal design rugs feature actual images or artistic representations of animals as part of their design, while animal print rugs replicate the patterns found on animal skins as a decorative element.
The distinction lies in the representation of animals themselves (actual versus printed patterns on the animal’s pelt) and the design approach each type of rug takes.