Banana Republic Mad Men Fashion Line
There comes a time that the creative geniuses of our television and media worlds create something, a show, movie, advertisement, etc., that undoubtedly captures the blackest hearts of New York’ers.
New York City has always been the city of dreams, lights, insomniacs, fashion, and career-obsessed, excessive coffee-guzzling, tough-as-nails, and hardworking individuals who will push someone down the stairs at a moment’s notice to get ahead. Nothing speaks dearer to our hearts than the everyone’s favorite 1960’s-inspired show, Mad Men.
As a starting point – what is Banana Republic?
Banana Republic is a clothing and accessories retailer that is part of the Gap Inc. family of brands. It was founded in 1978 by Patricia and Mel Ziegler as a safari and travel-themed boutique in Mill Valley, California. The concept was inspired by their love for adventure and exploration.
Over the years, Banana Republic evolved from its original safari theme to become a more mainstream and contemporary fashion brand, offering a range of clothing, accessories, and lifestyle products for men and women. While it may have lost some of its initial safari-themed focus, the brand has maintained its reputation for classic, versatile, and stylish apparel.
Banana Republic’s style is often characterized by its emphasis on well-tailored pieces, sophisticated workwear, and a blend of classic and modern designs. The brand is known for offering clothing suitable for both professional and casual settings, with an aim to provide customers with high-quality and fashion-forward options.
In addition to its physical stores, Banana Republic also operates an online store where customers can shop for a variety of clothing, accessories, shoes, and more. While Banana Republic is not considered a luxury brand, it occupies a mid-range to upscale position in the retail market, appealing to individuals looking for stylish and quality clothing options.
Is Banana Republic considered a luxury fashion brand?
No, Banana Republic is not generally considered a luxury brand. It is a mid-range to upscale clothing and accessories retailer that falls under the Gap Inc. umbrella. Banana Republic is known for offering stylish and contemporary clothing for men and women, often with a focus on workwear and versatile pieces. While it may have higher quality and higher-priced items compared to some other brands, it doesn’t typically fall into the category of luxury brands, which are usually associated with exclusivity, high price points, and a certain level of prestige.
What style of clothing is Banana Republic?
Banana Republic is known for its classic and contemporary style of clothing. The brand often offers a mix of timeless pieces and modern designs, with a focus on versatile and sophisticated attire.
Here are some characteristics of Banana Republic’s style:
- Workwear: Banana Republic is well-known for its selection of stylish workwear, including tailored suits, blouses, dress shirts, and slacks. Their clothing is often suitable for office environments and professional settings.
- Casual Elegance: The brand also offers a range of casual clothing that maintains an element of sophistication. This might include well-fitted jeans, sweaters, blouses, and casual dresses.
- Versatility: Many of Banana Republic’s pieces are designed to be versatile and easily incorporated into different outfits. This makes their clothing suitable for both formal and casual occasions.
- Neutral Color Palette: The brand often uses a neutral color palette, including shades like black, white, gray, and earth tones. This contributes to the timeless and adaptable nature of their designs.
- Quality Materials: While not a luxury brand, Banana Republic often emphasizes the use of higher-quality materials compared to some lower-priced retailers, contributing to the durability and comfort of their clothing.
- Accessories: In addition to clothing, Banana Republic offers a range of accessories such as handbags, shoes, and jewelry that complement their clothing lines.
Overall, Banana Republic’s style can be described as a blend of classic, modern, and sophisticated elements, with an emphasis on creating clothing that is suitable for a variety of occasions.
What style is Mad Men?
“Mad Men” is a television series set in the 1960s that is renowned for its distinctive portrayal of the fashion and culture of that era. The show’s style is often described as “retro” or “mid-century modern,” and it captures the fashion trends, aesthetics, and social norms of the 1960s with a particular focus on the advertising industry and the lives of the characters.
Here are some key elements of the “Mad Men” style:
- Sophisticated Tailoring: The characters in “Mad Men” are often seen wearing well-tailored suits, dresses, and other formal attire. The show’s fashion emphasizes a polished and put-together look, with sharp lines and clean silhouettes.
- Elegant Dresses: Women’s fashion in “Mad Men” often features fitted dresses, often with full skirts and defined waistlines. These dresses exude femininity and elegance, and they frequently incorporate bold patterns and colors.
- Nostalgic Accessories: The show’s style pays great attention to accessories like hats, gloves, pearls, and other vintage-inspired pieces that were popular in the 1960s.
- Classic Hairstyles: The characters’ hairstyles reflect the hairstyles of the era, with men often sporting sleek side-parted haircuts, and women wearing elegant updos, beehives, and other iconic styles.
- Bold Colors and Prints: “Mad Men” fashion is known for its use of vibrant colors and eye-catching prints, from bold plaid suits to colorful shift dresses.
- Pencil Skirts and A-Line Dresses: These classic silhouettes were staples of women’s fashion in the 1960s and are frequently seen on female characters in the show.
- Mod Influence: As the 1960s progressed, the show also incorporates elements of the mod fashion movement, characterized by bolder patterns, shorter hemlines, and a more youthful and edgy vibe.
- Cigarette Pants and Capri Pants: These cropped pants were popular during the era and are often worn by characters in the show.
Overall, “Mad Men” style is a mix of sophistication, nostalgia, and mid-century aesthetics, capturing the essence of 1960s fashion and culture while telling a compelling story set against the backdrop of the advertising world in that era.
Exploring The Mad Men Fashion at Banana Republic
If you haven’t been paying attention to AMC’s finest invention since sliced bread, (not that AMC invented sliced-bread and what bread isn’t sliced theses days?) Mad Men follows our everyday mod-man, Don Draper as he rules the world of 1960’s advertising agencies of pre-hipster New York.
AMC’s hit show is known for its historical depiction of New York, its string of racy storylines, and most importantly, for its Twiggy-themed mod fashion design.
The days of bow ties, tweed, three-piece suits, A-line dresses, and Jackie O-inspired attire are making a serious comeback into our fall fashion looks. The 1960’s were iconic and classic where designers and fashionistas really started to change the way Americans looked at fashion incorporating a high-end European look into the wardrobe. Pill-box hats and Chanel suits created quite the buzz.
Luxury goods became a common staple piece for the mod-man and woman dressed up in their Sunday’s best as they slaved away as creative directors and stenographers during their 9 to 5 daily grinds.
Now, these looks which have been increasingly popularized 50 years later are showing up with a vengeance. Banana Republic is set to create their new line of Mad Men inspired stylings offered to the masses.
Mad Men’s costume designer, Janie Bryant, is pairing up with good ol’ BR to bring her hot TV looks straight to the heart of commercial fashion.
Yes, ladies and gents, you too can no look like Don Draper and Miss Peggy Olson. Keep your eye out in Mid August of this year for your 1960’s invasion and dress to seriously impress.