Shabby Chic Rugs
View our current distressed antique worn Shabby Chic rugs collection below:
Learn More About Antique Worn Distressed Shabby Chic Rugs
What defines the “Shabby Chic” style?
“Shabby Chic” is a popular interior design style characterized by a blend of vintage, distressed, and worn elements with a touch of elegance and femininity. It originated in the late 1980s and gained widespread popularity in the 1990s. The style often seeks to create a cozy and lived-in atmosphere while maintaining a sense of refinement and charm.
Here are some defining characteristics of the Shabby Chic style:
- Distressed Furniture: Shabby Chic furniture typically features distressed finishes, which give the pieces a weathered and aged appearance. This can include chipped paint, worn edges, and visible signs of wear and tear.
- Soft Pastel Colors: The color palette of Shabby Chic interiors is often dominated by soft and muted pastel hues such as pale blues, pinks, greens, and whites. These colors contribute to the light and airy feel of the style.
- Vintage and Antique Pieces: Incorporating vintage and antique furniture and decor items is a key aspect of Shabby Chic design. These pieces add a sense of history and nostalgia to the space.
- Floral Patterns: Floral patterns are commonly used in textiles, such as upholstery, curtains, and bedding. These patterns add a touch of femininity and contribute to the overall romantic aesthetic.
- Natural Fabrics: Natural fabrics like cotton, linen, and muslin are often used for upholstery, bedding, and other textiles in Shabby Chic interiors. These fabrics enhance the comfortable and casual feel of the style.
- Mismatched Elements: Shabby Chic design embraces a mix-and-match approach, often combining pieces from different eras and styles to create an eclectic yet harmonious look.
- Distressed or Whitewashed Wood: Wooden furniture and decor items are often distressed, painted, or whitewashed to achieve a weathered appearance. This adds to the rustic charm of the style.
- Decorative Details: Delicate and ornate details, such as carved wood, lace, ruffles, and fringes, are commonly found in Shabby Chic design. These details contribute to the romantic and vintage-inspired atmosphere.
- Weathered Accessories: Decorative accessories like vintage mirrors, picture frames, chandeliers, and other items with a timeworn look are commonly used to enhance the style.
- Layered Textures: Shabby Chic spaces often feature layered textures through the use of fabrics, the layering of area rugs over other area rugs, cushions, and other elements. This adds depth and visual interest to the design.
- Casual Elegance: Despite its distressed and worn elements, Shabby Chic design maintains an element of elegance and sophistication. The combination of vintage and refined pieces creates a balanced and inviting atmosphere.
Overall, the Shabby Chic style captures a sense of nostalgia, comfort, and romance through its blend of vintage elements, distressed finishes, soft colors, and charming details.
The Shabby Chic area rugs
Shabby Chic rugs – In all elements of home furniture and design the term shabby chic speaks to smart elegance and sophistication. The distressed rugs that are both antique and Shabby Chic, are carpets that are rustic and untouched. These beautiful area rugs are preserved in their original distressed condition. The carpet design are aesthetically pleasing, quality made rugs that have aged gracefully. They exude a relaxed, warm broken in feeling that reflects their long history. Any additional restoration would only detract from their beauty.
Technically, any antique rugs that age well can be used as decorative accessory additions to homes. Within the home, shabby chic rugs are some of the most sought after carpets are typically from East Turkestan. More specifically, the rugs from the Khotan region are most sought after type of antique and vintage shabby chic rug when people are shopping for rugs for their home decor accessories.
The demand for the antique shabby chic rugs that are distressed in look and feel is as high today as it has ever been. These days, collectors and admirers of the finest pieces, seem to be setting their sights on those distressed and shabby chic carpets that most embody the tastefulness and sophistication that can only be offered by the shabby chic aesthetic of such beautiful examples. A style that is markedly distinctive from more traditional approaches to design, both floral or geometric. The broad appeal of shabby chic entices those with a deep frame of art-historical reference as well as those who just identify with the carefree nature of the approach.
Shabby Chic is Back
Home is where your heart is, it is said, and the aesthetic interior designers turn to in order to beautifully express that sentiment is the soft, aged-to-perfection shabby chic style.
Wildly popular in the 1990’s, this form of interior decoration which relies on furniture and furnishings have a worn-in appearance is experiencing an update and resurgence.
When it comes to shabby chic rugs, don’t allow yourself to be fooled by words like “shabby”, “worn-out” and “distressed” — The look may be short on structure and formal rules, but it amply makes up for that with the feeling of effortless elegance that it adds to your home.
While the term “Shabby Chic Style” may call to mind the cottage look, that was popular in the 1990’s, this new iteration of the trend, is based on one-of-a-kind vintage, tribal and antique accents from all different cultures.
It’s more sophisticated and worldly, and less “quaint” — it speaks less of the style of a charming French cottage, and more to the style of a home filled with artifacts from many time periods and cultures, each lending a unique bit of character to an overarching modern aesthetic.
The style began in the United Kingdom in the 1980’s as a counter-culture movement to the expensive home decor that was popular with the upper middle class of the time. It soon spread all over Europe and North America to become a part of the metropolitan aesthetic.
The proponents of the style, who were mostly artisans and Bohemians, extended their fondness for recycled old furniture and clothing to create this charming style. No wonder many of the original shabby chic interiors are considered works of art!
In the early days, shabby chic aesthetic became rather grand; thanks to the adherents desire to make their home decor look authentic. Since then, it has evolved to mean a design style with characteristics that include simple, uncluttered, natural, textural and weathered or worn.
Some would say that its cottage style give it an appearance very similar to French country houses. But perhaps the phrase that describes it best is “relaxed luxury”.
Shabby chic carpets are usually antique pieces that are have been well-used and loved. They show their age, but remain resilient and beautiful. They are chosen for their aged, relaxed and warm look as well as other aesthetically pleasing qualities.
Now, the thirst for Shabby Chic style has been folded into contemporary designers’ love of all things “vintage“. Antique rugs are one of a kind, and the distressed quality of “Shabby Chic rugs” adds an additional layer of character and charm.
The so-called ‘flaws’ of Shabby Chic antique rugs do not detract from their loveliness, rather, they tell a story of the rug’s age and history, and illustrate how good design transcends generations. It is a popular style, which turns your home into an effortlessly beautiful work of art. This is the essence of “shabby chic”.
Antique Shabby Chic Rugs are the hottest home decorating trend
Nazmiyal Antique Rugs has been collecting antiques for years, and a noticeable upcoming trend this season is appreciating the chicness in used and distressed home accessories, especially in exquisite antique shabby chic rugs. Most new items are worn down to create the look of being an antique piece, while true antique pieces have marks that have grown graceful in age and have a historical significance.
Imagine sitting in a room, admiring your traditional Oriental rug, and knowing that a specific mark is 3 centuries old and holds a part of history forever on its body. The shabbiness becomes a part of it’s meaningful personality, it is sophisticated, shows that it is well loved, and as some might describe it, is a ‘relaxed luxury’
Take a look at a few of our antique shabby chic rugs that work beautifully in today’s homes
Light Blue Shabby Chic Antique Sultanabad Rug
This breathtaking Sultanabad Persian rug has a beautiful bold red border, and a large lustrous light blue center. The beautiful colors shine through the worn distressed areas that act like a veil, hiding secrets and stories about the rug. A great rug for a library or living room, lighting up and inspiring people that gaze upon it.